Rudy Live -Saddle Up for this VI’s Soca Queen Ride to the Top
User Review( votes)
RUDY LIVE (Born Toiya Isaac ) is a native of the island of St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands whose musical destiny became clear from a very young age.
Here are some quick facts about her:
- Her father and 9ne of her major influence was “DJ Calabash”, a musical genius in his own right, who would encourage her to perform on stage entertaining crowds by free-styling on various dancehall ‘Riddims’.
- She was crowned top female “DJ of the Year” in 2000.
- She decided to work on her first reggae single in summer of 2007. “The Other Side”, which was released on the famous ‘Ghetto Blues Riddim produced by Jamaican Producer – Christopher Birchill.
- Her most successful single to date “Closer”, held the number #1 spot on the 3 Caribbean radio charts for over 4 weeks during January-March 2009, then finally landing number #6 on “Dr. Jay’s Soca Therapy” on Canada’s’ one and only Toronto-Lime.
- After the commercial success of her first album “Rudy” began to tour; opening for acts such as the Grammy Award winning “Sean Paul”, “Lady Saw”, “Allison Hinds”, “Trina”, “Shurwayne Winchester”, “Collie Buddz”, “Buju Banton”, “Denise Belfon”, “Jah Cure” , “Morgan Heritage”, and “ Kevin Little” just to name a few.
- Rudy Live went on to make her mark by becoming the first and only female to twice capture the title of Soca Monarch in St. Thomas and St. Croix (2013 and 2014) consecutively.
Find out more about Rudy at Facebook or on Instagram @rudylive
Data Source: Caribbean Current
SOUND OFF: What do you think of Rudy’s 2016 release SADDLE UP?
MISSION: To elevate the brand of Caribbean culture in the fields of MUSIC, BUSINESS and the ARTS by celebrating the work of cultural ambassadors while advocating for upcoming Caribbean talent1.